Tuesday, April 17, 2012

60 for 60 #40

A Noble Head


As a child I used to admire a picture my grandmother had framed on her wall of a woman and her 2 children and a big black and white furry dog. The dog was a Landseer Newfoundland and it turned out the print was from an old calendar of a painting by Rembrandt. (Madame Cherpantiere and her children). My grandmother loved it because it made her think of her mom, her self and her sister. I load the dog and swore I would have one some day.


Years later I did get my Newf. Not a Landseer, but a black. Gaea was a special girl and lived up to every expectation I could have. She took care of the kids (just like "Nana" in "Peter Pan". She would rescue the kids from the pool and ill a cart to give rides and deliver girl scout cookies.
My present Newfy, Magic, is 10 1/2 years old and is special in her own way. I was there at her birth and she fills our life with so much love (and fur and goobers). Newfs will always be in my heart.


No comments: