Saturday, February 21, 2009

Charleston in February

Once again we headed to Charleston, SC to participate in the Southeastern Wildlife Exhibition. We started our drive after Vic got home from work on Monday making our stop for the night in Bekely, WV. Just in time to catch the Westminster Dog show. Tuesday we set off early for our first destination, Isle of Palms. It's our tradition to arrive in time for a late lunch at Coconut Joes and this year was no exception. After all the cold and gray of Pittsburgh I was craving some warmth and a walk on the beach.
Coconut Joes was waiting for us with all it's funky splendor. I ate yummy coconut shrimp and fish tacos...
and I drank a frozen pina colada (with coconut on top) with "Rhett Butler".

The weather was spectacular and the ocean was calling, so off we went for an incredible afternoon.
Birds as usual were a treat. The gulls are so habituated to people I got some great shots up close and personal with the camera (thank you again, Terry for lending me the lens).
I think my favorite was catching the pelicans as they skimmed along over the ocean.
This sand dollar was so perfect in the sand. I found that I loved looking at the shells where they were, lying together or partially buried in the sand. Their color is never quite the same when you take them from their home.

Our afternoon was over all too soon and we needed to head to Mt Pleasant to check in at the hotel. I almost lost it that night when I pushed the wrong buttons and somehow lost the signal on the TV just before the 2nd half of the Westminster dog show was to begin. I'm a little technically challenged. Vic saved the day and we cheered as Stump, the Sussex spaniel had a very special win at 10 years of age. (to be continued)

1 comment:

naturegirl said...

Glad to see you had such a great show!!!