Sunday, February 22, 2009

SEWE continued

Thursday was a special preview for collectors. It was a wonderful time to talk to some old friends and make some new ones. It was a relaxed afternoon. Evening was the big opening event. Great food and drink. The "belle of the ball" was Rachelle Siegrist looking beautiful in a dress her mom had worn and made for herself many years ago. It seemed like it was made just for Rachelle.
One of the highlights of the show was the sale of "Uno" , my wolf sculpture. This is the last one available in the edition and the mold will be destroyed.

Friday afternoon was the exciting "quick draw", actually a quick paint and sculpt. Some of the artists came with material in hand and at the signal we had 1 hour to create a piece. We each created at our booth so people could walk around and see the artists at work. I chose to work in a paper clay that will need to be fired. This gave me the freedom of control of the piece from start to finish. It's material I enjoy working quickly in.Three little elephants emerged in clay on my sculpture stand. Behind me in the photo frame we had pictures of the 2 baby elephants that where born in the Pittsburgh zoo this summer. Watching them play with each other was the inspiration for the piece.
When all was done an auction was held of all the pieces created in that hour. One by one artists were put on the spot with their pieces held up for all to see and bid on. A great auctioneer kept things going at a fun pace. My little "ellies" I named "Playmates" caused quite a stir. I couldn't believe all the people bidding on my little group!

Thank you to all who participated. it seemed that everyone was having an amazingly good time! My little elephants will be fired in a kiln the end of March and mounted on a wood base and sent off to it's new home. I had so much fun creating this piece. Working in front of everyone was a thrill. I sure hope we get to do it again next year.

1 comment:

Wes and Rachelle Siegrist said...

Hi Karryl,
We really enjoyed your blog. Sounds like you and Vick had a geat time, playing, exploring and eating! Wes and I really like the photo of the sand dollar! Congratulations again on all of the excitement and selling of your quick draw piece! Thanks for mentioning Mom's dress and myself. She will be quite proud!
Love and Hugs :-)
Rachelle